[BlueOnyx:15129] Re: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Tue Apr 8 10:16:05 -05 2014

On Tue April 8 2014 09:59, RC Barker wrote:
> Ok no the error is changed to
> 554 5.0.0 rewrite: excessive recursion (max 50), ruleset canonify (in
> reply     to RCPT TO command)
>
> RC

RC,

  Every time I have seen this before it had to do with a "mis" configuration
on the email settings for the domain - generally a mixup between the
FQDN (full host name) and the domain and the email (MX) record for
the domain.  Without actual domain names it is hard to guess from here,
but I would check and make sure both the domain name, AND the full
host name are entered in the "receive email for" box.

For example:  domain.com, hostname www.domain.com
MX record says deliver to www.domain.com, but only domain.com
is listed in Email settings box.  Server gets an email, checks the MX
and tries to send it to www.domain.com (instead of deliver it locally).
Since www.domain.com and domain.com are the same box (usually)
the mail "bounces" between interfaces until max recursion hits.

I have used "sendmail -bt email at domain.com" from a terminal window
on my box to find this sort of error in the past. (Should tell you what
it is trying to do with the message).

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net