[BlueOnyx:15193] Re: older software is throwing errors after MOD_PHP package - need quick fix

webmaster webmaster at oldcabin.net
Mon Apr 14 15:45:53 -05 2014

> The *ONLY* was to get rid of these deprecation message (in PHP-5.3.3 -
> but that does NOT work for PHP-5.4 or PHP-5.5!) is to modify php.ini to
> suppress PHP from generating deprecation messages.
>
> Still: It is a horrible idea. Because the code you are running is
> ancient and probably riddled with security holes. You mention Gallery.
> Gallery 3 has a version out that actually RUNS with PHP-5.4 and PHP-5.5.
>
> See: http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:About

*The new version of gallery sucks!!!****
**
**But I have no choice now **
*

> Why not upgrade that? It'll fix all the known security holes as well and
> lets you sleep a whole lot better at night. As for your "ecommerce
> software": You're making money with that. Can you justify to run
> outdated shopping carts and stuff like that which puts your customer
> data at risk? Upgrade it as well. If that software is still being
> shipped, updated versions that run with todays PHP versions are out
> there as well. If not: Ditch it! Because you can't afford to run stuff
> that's no longer maintained. For the very same reasons.
>
> Lastly, MCRYPT and MOD_PHP: When you bought the package, it gave you
> access to three PHP versions:
>
> The lastest PHP-5.3 for 5108R.
> The lastest PHP-5.4 for 5108R.
> The lastest PHP-5.5 for 5108R.
>
> You can choose either one to install. So you can actually uninstall the
> 5.5 and install the 5.3 instead, which has MCRYPT as well.

*
**That confused me and I installed all three!!!**
**Yikes!

I though I was supposed to install one, two, then three in order?
****
**So before I go and uninstalling/reinstalling things**
**
**Any tips before I do that?**
*

> Then (to suppress the "deprecated" error messages UNTIL you have updated
> your horribly outdated PHP scripts) you can modify your php.ini like
> suggested on this URL:
>
> http://duntuk.com/how-disable-php-53-deprecated-errors
>
> Like said: I think it is a horrible idea to modify the server config to
> allow it to run outdated and defective PHP scripts. Especially if it is
> ecommerce stuff.

*I was reading about, and how to suppressing error messages**. Yes
bad**idea*

> And no: It is not possible to run different PHP versions side by side.

Thanks