[BlueOnyx:15304] Re: Email Aliases

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 29 14:15:26 -05 2014

Hi Richard,

> I have set up a new site and
> want to add an email alias called "info" to one of the users but it tells me
> that it is already in use on this system. What happens if I want to use info
> in different virtual sites, is this possible?

There is a difference between "username" and "alias". Both must be
unique. But in different places.

username: Must be unique on the server. Once you create one user named
"sales", that name is taken and nobody else on the same server might
have it. There are certain reserved usernames that cannot be used for
Vsite users. Such as "admin", "postmaster" and a few others.

alias: Must be unique, too. But only on a per site basis.

So if you want to have sales at ... for multiple users on the same box, you
create a unique username for them. Like "site1_sales", but it could as
well be "johndoe". Doesn't really matter as long as it is unique. Then
you edit that account and give it the "Email Alias" of "sales".

That way the user can be emailed to at site1_sales at ... as well as
sales at ... and it'll be all good. And you can do that for more than one
site, as long as the username is not yet taken already.