[BlueOnyx:15827] Re: KDE (GUI) with BlueOnyx

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Aug 27 09:16:08 -05 2014

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the list. :-)

> Scientific installed and running fine. Installed BlueOnyx and all is well.
>
> Installed KDE (and tried Gnome) and my system hangs after displaying the
> GUI interface. No mouse, keyboard - nada.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas that may be out there.

Yeah, generally we discourage installing a graphical desktop on
Blueonyx. The thinking here is: Graphical desktop is for workstations,
while BlueOnyx is a server OS.

Mixing both is a bit of a challenge and also exposes the server part to
compromises due to more ports being exposed to the network and more
services that are running.

We also did some optimizations to the OS which aren't really desktop
friendly and could contribute to the problems you're seeing with KDE.

So my suggestion would be: Use BlueOnyx the way it was designed and
install your graphical desktop on another server. That way you get the
best out of both.

Additionally: The KDE and Gnome (and all programs that go with them) are
usually really ancient on CentOS6 or SL6. They don't put any efforts
into keeping them current, as it's after all a server OS.

Personally I tried CentOS6 as desktop OS only briefly after it came out
and then moved back to Fedora. I'm now using Ubuntu LTS, as I don't feel
like having to upgrade/reinstall my workstation OS every half a year to
keep it current.