[BlueOnyx:16716] Re: Feature Request MySQL

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Dec 19 09:28:54 -05 2014

Hi Dirk,

> In 5209R MySQL and also MariaDB will be available?

No. 5209R will only have MariaDB, as that's what RedHat shipped EL7 with.

MariaDB tries to maintain compatibility to MySQL in most regards, while
adopting fixes and improvements faster. For most intends and purposes a
user might not really notice if his database is using MySQL or MariaDB.

For me as "integrator" there are some obvious differences between the
two. At least as far as setting things up and the GUI are concerned.

Our base-mysql module for dealing MySQL is pretty complete and mature. I
would hate to maintain yet another GUI module just for dealing with
MariaDB. Because these two modules would have a lot of code that is similar.

So I worked out the differences between the two and modified our
base-mysql GUI module to work with either MySQL or MariaDB. Based on
which BlueOnyx platform the module base-mysql is built for, it will
either build for MySQL support or for MariaDB support. This goes as far
as that in the 5209R GUI all text depicting "MySQL" is changed to
"MariaDB" instead and certain provisions for creating MySQL users and
databases are slightly changed to cope with MariaDB oddities.