[BlueOnyx:14485] Mail delivery failing as "user unknown"

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Feb 7 17:59:57 -05 2014

This has cropped up in the past day.   We have a customer with a
dedicated server who reports email bouncing for no particular reason.
I have looked into it for the customer, and the server is bouncing the
email as "No such user here".   The problem is the user very much exists
and can be found in the GUI as well as virtusertable.

I noticed /var/log/maillog throwing this:
  alias database /etc/mail/aliases.db out of date

So I gave a "newaliases" and that went away.

For good measure I have done
  makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db < /etc/mail/virtusertable

and then restart Sendmail, but we're still getting the same problem.   I
even did a make clean / make in /etc/mail and then Sendmail restart and
still no joy.

Suggestions are welcome.
--
Chris Gebhardt