[BlueOnyx:14686] Re: After YUM Update

lewisg lewisg at iglou.com
Mon Feb 17 20:54:20 -05 2014

Michael, thanks for your assistance!

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Lew,
>
>> On a bunch of our client's PCs (XP and W7) we have Thunderbird installed
>> (v2-v24). Many of these are configured in Thunderbird to use STARTTLS
>> for POP. These machines quit receiving email on Feb 14th with the status
>> line message in Thunderbird saying "Connecting to servername" staying up
>> forever. If we change Thunderbird Server Settings, Security Settings,
>> Connection security from STARTTLS to None email pours in.
>
> Actually I'm using Thunderbird myself. Switch from "STARTTLS" to
> "SSL/TLS" and it'll work like a charm.
>
> The thing is that "SSL/TLS" didn't work in the past, but now it does.

If there needs to be a change I'm wondering what the best choice would
be. On modern versions of Thunderbird I can't packet sniff usernames or
passwords even when None is selected. My long term goal is to minimize
changes users have to make.

>> /var/log/maillog shows this:
>> dovecot: pop3-login: socketpair() failed: Too many open files
>> dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected: TLS initialization failed. (no auth
>> attempts): rip=xx.xx.59.66, lip=xx.xx.6.130
>
> That's actually a different issue. Spot the "too many open files".
> Somehow you're hitting the limit on the number of open files for the OS
> and that's throwing a wrench into things.

Restarting dovecot and watching /var/log/maillog showed a tidal wave of
mail going out to clients with no TLS initialization failed messages so
far. Today was a US holiday so many machines were on and users were not
around to change their settings.

Sun/BlueQuartz/BlueOnyx have been quite reliable for me over the years.
Thanks for your efforts to keep this going.