[BlueOnyx:14207] Re: NewLinQ username

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Fri Jan 3 18:30:43 -05 2014

On 01/03/2014 05:12 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> On 1/3/2014 4:48 PM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>
>> The issue I had was where the owner of the server pays someone to
>> install packages on a server.
>> Later he decides to pay someone else to install packages on the server.
>>
>> In one case I have in mind the last person installing packages was
>> killed in an auto accident and is no longer available.
>> Seems overly complicated to me.
>
> That's a good point.   The licensing probably works well for a customer
> with one or several servers of their own.  However, we have encountered
> some rather frustrating cases.
>
> For instance, we have provided management services for customers where,
> before everything was installed via NewLinq, we could purchase a package
> on the customer's behalf, install it, then charge that back to the
> customer on an upcoming invoice and everyone's happy.   The developer
> gets paid, we get paid, the customer gets their software installed.
>
> After the switch to NewLinq, we wound up in a situation where we would
> install our credentials on a customer server, install a package, then
> the customer decides they're ready to take matters into their own hands,
> or they find another sysadmin, or... whatever, now things are complicated.
>
> So we find ourselves in a bit of a pickle.  The developers need to have
> a way to reasonably ensure they are paid for their work.   It's not good
> when we have someone who just keeps infinitely using the same license on
> servers willy-nilly.  At the same time, there needs to be a system
> flexible enough so that it stays out of the way and lets the user and
> sysadmin do their job.
>
> As it currently stands, the existing system has been an impediment to
> our ability to help customers.  Consequently, we've not bought a package
> for a customer in a long time.  Instead, we encourage the customer to
> get the whole purchase and NewLinq business handled on their own.  I'm
> not aware of what percentage actually follow through, and how many
> simply lose interest.
>
> That's no swipe against Greg or Michael.  But I can say that the current
> state of the BlueOnyx shop and the way software is installed is, shall
> we say, less than ideal.  For our purposes, anyhow.   I'd certainly be
> happy to dialog with the shop owners/vendors to provide what I would
> hope is constructive info if that's something that is welcomed.   They
> know where to hit me up.  ;)
>
> Apart from that, it's just my 2 cents US.

Interesting Chris
Most of the servers I manage have owners who are stressed at adding and
deleting users.
Selecting, purchasing, installing and configuring packages is beyond
their capabilities.
I now have my NewLinQ username on several servers at different locations,
If I purchase packages and someone else o n one of those servers checks
NewLinQ they could have my packages.

Gerald