[BlueOnyx:14321] php-cgi and web crawlers

Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Thu Jan 30 00:24:15 -05 2014

I have a site running Joomla that grinds to a halt when web crawlers vist
the site, I have seen it happen with Wordpress too, probably something to do
with them both needing suPHP.

The symptoms are dozens of php-cgi processes spawning, causing high CPU
load, and making sendmail stop responding due to the load until some time
after the web crawler has finished.

The hardware is quite reasonable, Xeon based, with a lot of RAM and fast drives
etc.

Is there any tuning I can do to prevent so many php-cgi processes spawing at
once, or to get them over and done with a bit faster?

- Ernie.