[BlueOnyx:15504] Can't Add User

Carl Leonard cleonard at ohsd.net
Tue Jun 3 13:34:38 -05 2014

This started happening a few days ago..

There are 2 problems, but I think they are related,

On  1 of 7 of the virtual hosts on the same BlueOnyx installation, this html error (with no error number) appears when trying to access a page in that one virtual host.

On the other 6 virtual hosts that does not happen.

This is the problem I need to fix immediately, because the public cannot view pages on that one virtual host.

To see if the problem affects only existing users, I attempted to add a user on one virtual host,
Using admin management console http://xxx.yyy.net/admin
1) logged on as admin
2) created new user
Using shell
3) Copied files from original user to new user
Using admin management console
4) deleted user
5) recreated that user
Using shell
6) Copied files from "new" user to "recreated" user

That worked and the original error ""You do not have permission...." no longer appears in a browser at http://xxx.yyy.net/~webgod

I used that kludgey process successfully with several users on that one virtual host.

Suddenly,

Adding user started hanging and throwing the following messages:

"Please wait for the changes to complete."
"Waiting for http://xxx.yyy.net:444/base/user/userAddHandler.php..."

The progress bar stops at about 1/3 total progress and appears to hang. After several minutes the progress bar rolls out to the end and disappears. However, he user is not added. The screen remains - it does not return to the site management page.

Cancel does work - it gracefully terminates the addUser process and returns to the site management page - but the user is not added.

On that BlueOnyx installation other php code does work properly.

I rebooted the machine. It didn't change - same problems continue.

There is plenty of disk space. df command shows 30% used.
File permissions have not changed other than during the kludge. When the kludge is complete I ensure the file permissions are correct.

While the 2 seem connected, it is the browser error "You do not have permission to access the requested file on this server" that is most urgent. In lieu of that, I can use "the kludge" if I can resume adding users on that virtual host.

Thank you.

Sandy Beach
Network Security / Web Jockey
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
Certified CyberSecurity Forensic Analyst(tm)
Registered Linux User Number 214486
Authorized Windows Crash Test Dummy(r)