[BlueOnyx:15529] Re: Problem with server clock intermittenly changing

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jun 10 21:37:04 -05 2014

Hi Chuck,

> I've got a weird one.  The clock on just one of our BX servers keeps changing.
> This morning at 08:45 - the clock set backwards 12 hours to 9June 21:03.  Then
> less than two hours later - it sets back forward to the correct time.  See cron
> log clips below.
>
> I'd previously turned off NTPd, since it wasn't keeping the time right and had
> set up a daily cron to set the clock.  But the problem has remained - whether
> using NTPd or the cron.
>
> Does anyone have a idea what could be changing the clock on this server?

Hmm. Could be that the timezone set in CODB disagrees with the TZ that
the server is currently using. In that case a cronjob (or CCED restart)
could push out the CODB stored timezone to the system. In which case
you'd see such a jump.

Other than that: Updates of the "tzdata" RPM via YUM can also cause this
temporarily, until a CCED restart fixes it again.

Other than that? No idea. If you can't use NTP, then a cronjob is indeed
the answer.

Once upon a time I used to use a cronjob like this to sync the software-
and hardware-clock once a day:

5 23 * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate -v time.fu-berlin.de
6 23 * * * /sbin/clock -wu