[BlueOnyx:14822] Re: Mail delivery failing as "user unknown"

David Hahn blueonyx at sb9.com
Mon Mar 3 20:27:48 -05 2014

Gregg,
Not sure this is your problem but I ran into the user unknown a while back..

Reposted from [BlueOnyx:14229]

Here is what I found to be the problem...

If you check the users 'Disable User's Email' Check box, once you do
and if there are aliases present  the GUI will add the
'User unknown' blocks to the /etc/mail/access file. Once its in there
the GUI don't like to remove them.
(it puts them there but won't remove them when the box is unchecked and
saved)
(remove the aliases first!!!) and not check the box is a better way to
not allow user email.

Even after deleting the entire site, it will remain a problem. Run:
# grep thedomain.com/etc/mail/*

### Start Block Email for User: user on Virtual Site:www.thedomain.com  ###
user.alias at www.thedomain.com              ERROR:5.1.1:550 User unknown

### END Block Email for User: user on Virtual Site:www.thedomain.com  ###

you will still see the removed domain's blocks still in the access file
list. You will need to remove all traces
of the blocks for that user from the access file or you will get the
user unknown error forever for any alias in the Email Aliases
text box. Just remove them save, and not tick the check box.

HTH fix the user unknown errors on valid user aliases.

BTW, Make sure DNS (MX) is correct and resolved! And NO CNames!!!

--
Thank you
David Hahn