[BlueOnyx:14841] Re: BUG: BX does not allow underscores to be entered into DNS records

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Mar 4 17:15:02 -05 2014

Hi Dan,

> Host Name   : _dmarc
> Domain Name : example.com
> Text Record :  "v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=mailto:postmaster at example.com"
>
> It doesn't matter what the test record is, it's the host name that is
> the problem item.

I see. I just looked at the sources and the things there is that it's
pretty complicated to fix. :-(

The page /base/dns/dns_add.php is coded in a style that predates the
UIFC methods with which the rest of the GUI is coded. The methods used
there to display form field elements are a whole lot less flexible and
there I only have a limited subsets of commands that I can use. Which
wouldn't let me pick a different validation for the hostname field.

I'd need to move the TXT record handling into a new PHP page that's
coded in UIFC. For that I'd need to modify /base/dns/dns_add.php (for
adding) and /base/dns/records.php (for modifying) TXT records. Plus the
coding of the separate new /base/dns/dns_add_txt.php. Plus schema
changes to allow host names starting with leading underscores for TXT
records. This then also requires changes to sausalito-gallery to allow
verification of domain names for TXT fields with leading underscores.

I can do that easily in the new 520XR GUI and there it takes me like 30
minutes. But in the 510XR GUI it's a two day job due to the legacy code.

So I'll fix it in the new GUI, but rather won't touch it in the old one
yet. Sorry. Otherwise I'll never get done with the new GUI. :p