[BlueOnyx:15020] Re: SSL change after updates?

Eric Peabody admin at bnserve.com
Wed Mar 26 21:42:29 -05 2014

Michael,

Bind can use wildcards.  Here's an example zone file

$TTL    86400
@       IN SOA  ns.domain.com. admin.domain.com.  (
         2012020502      ; Serial
         10800           ; Refresh
         3600            ; Retry
         604800          ; Expire
         3600            ; Negative cache TTL
)

                         IN NS   ns1.nameservice.com.
                         IN NS   ns2.nameservice.com.
                         IN A    66.66.66.66
                         MX 1    mail
                         MX 10   mail.backupmx.com.

; Addresses

*                       IN A    66.66.66.66
*                       MX 1    mail
*                       MX 10   mail.backupmx.com.

Note that the domain name is picked up from the named.conf stanza.  The
first A record is for the domain as host (that is, "mydomain.com").  The
second matches anything under that domain ("mail.mydomain.com",
"www.mydomain.com", etc.)

More detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_DNS_record

Eric