[BlueOnyx:15043] Re: Intel Pro/1000 pci network cards

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Sat Mar 29 10:03:40 -05 2014

Michael Stauber <mstauber at ...> writes:

> Hi Tom,
>
> > I want to upgrade by servers to gigabit network cards. I have several
Intel
> > Pro 1000 PCI cards. What needs to be done to get them to work on an
already
> > existing running Scientific Linux BlueOnyx 5108R setup?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Typically the drivers for most common network cards are already in the
> kernel. So as far as that goes it's just plug and play. Remove the old
> card(s), plug the new one(s) in and they should get detected.
>
> You can check this on the console with "/sbin/ifconfig -a".
>
> However, CentOS6 and SL6 have a newer UDev, which keeps a config file
> about which NIC has which MAC address. If you remove a NIC and add a
> different one, it might get a new ethX identifier assigned. Which makes
> things a bit more complicated.
>
> The work around for this is to delete that UDev config file and to reboot:
>
> /bin/rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> Once that's done the new NIC(s) should simply pick up the IP addresses
> and network configuration that you had assigned to the old ones.

Michael, Thanks for the response:
The problem I'm having is the NICs are not being recognized on the bootup.
The system is seeing them and assigning ip addresses, the firmware utility
notice is posting, but the SL bootup reports the following.
Bringing up interface Eth0 - Device does not seem to be present.
Bringing up interface Eth1 - Device does not seem to be present

I'm guessing no drivers available for these under Linux? I downloaded the
latest drivers for Linux 2.6 from Intel. I just don't know how to get them
installed.