[BlueOnyx:15045] Re: Intel Pro/1000 pci network cards

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Sat Mar 29 15:43:26 -05 2014

> > the SL bootup reports the following.
> > Bringing up interface Eth0 - Device does not seem to be present.
> > Bringing up interface Eth1 - Device does not seem to be present
>
> Right.  Did you rm -rf /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> > I'm guessing no drivers available for these under Linux? I downloaded
the
> > latest drivers for Linux 2.6 from Intel. I just don't know how to get
them
> > installed.
>
> I highly doubt it's an issue of driver. You should be able to toss
> pretty much any NIC in a box and it will be recognized.  My guess is
> that you did not remove the OLD nic's from udev, so the new ones are
> getting configured as eth2 & eth3.   That's most likely.
>
> Just do as Michael suggested and reboot.  Then you'll be good to go.  If
> not, then it's a NIC problem.
>
> Oh, and when you reboot, get into the bios of those NICs and turn off
> their firmware.  My guess is you don't want to boot your box from the
> NIC (ie: pixie boot) so that stuff is just taking time on your boot
> sequence.   I make a habit of disabling that whenever possible.

Chris,
Thanks for the response. Turning off the NIC's firmware fixed the problem.
Rebooted the box and everything came up fine. Both GB NICs are now working.
I knew the cards were good and I always use Intel Pro/1000 for their
reliability and easy configure. They usually work the first time on
everything.
Thanks again.