[BlueOnyx:15480] Re: Web alias redirects

Will Nordmeyer, WnA Consulting Services will at wnahosting.com
Wed May 28 18:24:19 -05 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014 16:45:57 -0500, Michael Stauber
<mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
>> I know I've seen answers about this here, but have not been
>> successful.
>>
>> I've got some website(s?) on my server that have
>> www.domain.com and then in the webserver alias just domain.com. When
>> people go to just domain.com for these sites, it redirects them to the
>> www.firstdomainonip.com instead of the www.domain.com it should.
>>
>> I've
>> deleted the web server alias, saved, exited that page, gone back in and
>> readded the webserver alias (cutting and pasting from the top of the
>> page to avoid any idiot typist errors)... but no change.
>
> Do you have DNS "A Records" for both "domain.com" and "www.domain.com"?
> Because you need them in this case.

Yep - I saw that thread and have A records for domain.com and
www.domain.com

web server aliases has domain.com
Web Alias Redirects is checked
hostname on general settings is www
domain name on general settings is domain.com

www.domain.com has an A record pointing to 123.123.123.123
domain.com has an A record pointing to 123.123.123.123
mail.domain.com has an a record pointing to 123.123.123.123

This issue appears to be an intermittent problem?  The site was set up
and hosted on our servers about a week ago.  Since then this problem has
been reported, I was able to duplicate it on one Linux machine using
Firefox but a Windoze machine using IE worked fine.

I don't know what devices the site's customers were using when they
complained.

I reset the aliases this afternoon and restarted the web services just
for sanity's sake.

--Will