[BlueOnyx:16377] Re: Pootle-Patchday Issues III : ProFTPd fixed

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Nov 2 22:25:54 -05 2014

Hi Janwillem,

> Not urgent, I¹m sure one of these days it will work :)

I just rolled out yet another proftpd (1BX5) and that should be the last
of it for now. /knocking on wood.

They remaining issues with proftpd after yesterdays update seem to be
with boxes that somehow still have IPv6 enabled, although we generally
turn it off.

Active Monitor uses "telnet localhost 21" to telnet to port 21 to see if
ProFTPd is running and responsive.

With IPv6 disabled that looks like this:

[root at sword ~]# telnet localhost 21
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 FTP Server ready.

With IPv6 enabled it looks like this:

[root at sword ~]# telnet localhost 21
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 FTP Server ready.

Spot the difference between '127.0.0.1' and '::1' for the IP. Our
ProFTPd was built with IPv6 support disabled. So on boxes that somehow
had IPv6 enabled, it wouldn't respond to localhost connections. \o/

The new build has IPv6 support enabled again and that solves that issue.