[BlueOnyx:16488] Re: mailwatch

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Nov 19 13:52:39 -05 2014

Hi Dudi,

> DG] I like these to be quarantined, examined by an admin,
> site-admin or the user, and either released/re-classified
> or discarded.

Like said: The AV-SPAM can quarantine detected SPAM in a separate IMAP
folder for each user. That eliminates the need for an external kludge
such as MailWatch to shake the quarantined mails loose.

> [DG] For me, rejecting a valid email is a bad move, that's what
> the quarantine is for.

I see your point, but don't share that philosophy. In my understanding
it's rather like this: If it got rejected in first place, then there
were multiple substantial reasons that added up to the decision to
reject the mail. That's also a difference from MailScanner: There rarely
is a singular reason why the AV-SPAM rejects. Each emails is examined
and the various checks either speak in favor of the email being legit,
or various checks tell otherwise. Then the final tally is made and if
the score of the email is above a certain threshold, then it gets the
special treatment that the admin or user has defined for such emails.

> I can't run a hosting solution without a manageable quarantine.

Like said: Manageable quarantine is implemented via IMAP folders. The
only "stuff" that's always rejected is a detected virus.

> BTW: All my other non BQ servers are running j-chkmail [...]

I know it. I borrowed some ideas from it. ;-)