[BlueOnyx:16099] Re: Partitions

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Oct 3 13:34:02 -05 2014

Hi Jim,

> I have tried both the latest CentOS and SL disks with the same results.
> All of the other BO boxes I have root is about 6GB and home would be all
> the left over space. Has anyone else seen this?

The partitioning of the disks is done by the kickstart script at the
beginning of the installation. It uses this code for that:

bootsize=500
rootsize=6144
varsize=4096
tmpsize=2048
swapsize=4096

    # now setup the sysvg
    # create large enough mirror spanning all disks
    # create logical volume in new mirror
    # create root, var, and swap in new logical volume
    cat >>/tmp/include-parts<<EOF
    raid pv.10 --level=RAID1 --device=md1 raid.05 raid.07
    raid pv.20 --level=RAID1 --device=md2 raid.06 raid.08
    volgroup VolGroup00 pv.10 pv.20
    logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=$rootsize
    logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap --vgname=VolGroup00
--size=$swapsize
    logvol /tmp --fstype ext3 --name=tmp --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=$tmpsize
    logvol /var --fstype ext3 --name=var --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=$varsize
    logvol /home --fstype ext3 --name=home --vgname=VolGroup00
--size=2000 --grow

As you can see, that would leave you with a / partition of around 6GB,
/boot of 500MB, /var of 4G, /tmp of 2GB and a swap partition of 4GB. The
remaining space is used for /home.

The only reason why this would not work is if the disks are smaller than
the sum of space required to set up the basic "fixed size" partitions.
Or if either the disks or the controller interpret the size commands
handed to them differently.

There is no reasonable way why the partitioning command should take the
instructions to create a 6GB partition and ends up creating one that's
49GB of size instead.

Out of curiosity:

Can you please post the results of the command "fdisk -l" run as "root"?
That will show the partition table of all detected disks.