[BlueOnyx:16165] Re: Scientific Linux 7.0 released

Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Tue Oct 14 00:22:34 -05 2014

Hi Mike,
I can appreciate the problems with systemd, I have only skimmed the
documents and watched some youtube tutorials, and it seems like an extreme
departure from init. I already get lost with launchd on the Mac, yet another
process #1 system to learn.

The thing that gets me is there seems to be no transition period, every
hosting control panel suddenly has to have a complete rewrite on process
control. I have seen on the debian Wiki they have a package for systemd
which creates the old init.d/ scripts structure to maintain some compatibility,
perhaps there is something like that for E7?

- Ernie.

"I Ping therefore I am."