[BlueOnyx:16321] Re: FTP unavailability explained

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Oct 30 13:23:53 -05 2014

Hi Michael,
Thanks.  Mainly, it's a good way to keep from typing the same thing
again and again, and allows us to put some links in there in case anyone
wishes to see the history behind it.

On 10/30/2014 12:57 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Before I had published the updated ProFTPd RPMs, I had tested if FTPS
> was working and it did. I didn't check regular FTP, because ...
> seriously: Why would that ever break?
>
> Bad mistake.

Ah yes.  Been there before (just last night, as a matter of fact).  Here
in Texas we have a saying about what happens when we assume something.
  We make an ASS out of U and ME.  :)

> So this left us with the suggestion from Dirk Estenfeld: Create separate
> configs. One proftpd.conf for pure FTP and one proftpds.conf for FTPS.

A bit more bulky, but apparently the way of the world now.

> This required extensive changes in base-ftp.mod, which were just
> finished and tested. And it requires yet another rebuild of the ProFTPd
> RPM, which is currently cooking.
>
> If all goes well, then updates should be available within the hour.

Thanks, Michael.   Of course, we all appreciate the efforts, and it's
probably a safe bet that many of us here understand the lack of sleep
involved.  Here's hoping the updates go well, publish without difficulty
and then you get a bit of rest!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services