[BlueOnyx:17394] Re: Detecting compromised mail accounts

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Wed Apr 1 00:19:41 -05 2015

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, Ernie wrote:

> line, and use the mailq as root or sudo to see if a mass of spam is going
> out, as a rule it will be choking the mail queue. Then you examine the
> headers in /var/spool/mqueue to see who send the spam so you can figure out
> the compromised user.

Often, spammers will upload an entire self-contained spam system and list
of target addresses and spew from that.  Local logs will show NOTHING as
none of the local mail programs are being used.  To further complicate
things, the spam system self-erases itself and leaves no trace once it's
finished.  FTP logs also may not show anything if they used SSH for
transfer.

If you have an older BX version, I'd recommend installing "vnstat" which
makes nice historical graphs of a designated network interface with
hourly, daily, and monthly use both in and outbound.  You can look at
in/out traffic with a browser using a companion program that reads the
data and makes the graphics for a simple web page.  Newer BX versions
already include a similar program as part of the GUI, but I forget the
name.

Another quick-look kind of program is "iftop" which shows traffic on all
ports of an interface.  It's good for spotting something that's spewing
outbound, or attacking inbound.