[BlueOnyx:17453] Re: DNS Question

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Apr 24 14:03:13 -05 2015

Hi RC,

On 4/24/2015 11:38 AM, Richard Barker wrote:
> Hopefully I can ask this correctly.
> We have a primary and secondary dns setup on two IP on the same server
> same subnet.
> What we want is to leave the primary same move the secondary to a new IP
> on a different
> but don want to have to maintain two location.

OK, so actually I do not believe I understand what you're asking about.

> What is the correct method to get all the primary DNS over to the secondary?

The best I can figure is you're saying that you currently have a single
nameserver, but it's running on 2 IP addresses.  And you want to put
secondary service on another server, which has a different IP address?

If that's the case, and I'm understanding you correctly, then you will
do something like this:

1. On the existing nameserver, go to your Network Services > DNS >
Advanced Settings.   Under "Zone Transfer Access by IP Address", put in
the IP address of the new secondary server.  Then save.

2. On the new nameserver, which you want to be your secondary, go to
Network Services > DNS.  Make sure DNS service is enabled.

3. Click Edit Secondary Services.   Select to Add Secondary Service >
For A Domain.

4. In "Domain Name" put the domain.  In masters, put the IP address of
the main nameserver that it should slave from.  Click Save.

5. When you are done, click Save.

Now your secondary server will slave all of the configured domains.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services