[BlueOnyx:17474] Re: relaying denied

Robert Wurth wurthrs at slu.edu
Mon Apr 27 23:13:35 -05 2015

Hi all

Well I finally got it to work, and the info on the page is correct.  The
only thing I didn't do is the web server alias.

The thing that complicated it was that with the "auto DNS setup" enabled if
you don't put the alias in when you set up the site first, when you go back
to edit it the "site.com" is already added to the DNS and the setup script
just bombs with the entry already present.  I ended up deleting all of the
DNS setup and re entering everything.

I Believe in the end the thing I was missing was I only had 1 DNS MX record
for site.com, the www.site.com was missing.  The only thing I would like to
get rid of is when mail is sent I would like to get rid of the www in the
sent mail address.

Thanks for the help
Bob

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Fungal Style <wayin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you misread... "without the use of CNAMES"
>
> I have had the same issues for a long time and seen forums and mailing
> list posts where people have gone to many lengths to get  it to work and
> the simple act of following the DNS entries on the link you provided and
> the steps I provided solved the issues I had with aliases as the email
> would only work if using <username>@www.<FQDN>
>
> I believe the page ( http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=dns-for-email
>  ) may have referred to my steps when stating:
> *This assumes that "www.site.com <http://www.site.com>" is the exact name
> of the site as shown in the virtual site list and that "site.com
> <http://site.com>" has been set as "Email Server Alias" (and "Web Server
> Alias") for that site.*
>
> specifically:
> *"site.com <http://site.com>" has been set as "Email Server Alias"*
>
> If my steps of adding the email server alias is not correct I will need to
> setup another test box and check if the latest BO will work with just the
> instructions on the page (just setting the DNS entries listed in the
> tables) as last few times of setting up BO servers it would give me relay
> errors if I sent email to alias email addresses.
>
> Regards
> Brian
>
> > Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 06:55:14 -0500
> > From: mstauber at blueonyx.it
> > To: blueonyx at mail.blueonyx.it
> > Subject: [BlueOnyx:17461] Re: relaying denied
>

> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > > EASY SOLUTION without the use of CNAMES (which are evil) >:)
> > > Go to site managementSelect your domainselect Serviceselect Email
> > > Add the FQDN in the EMAIL SERVER ALIAS field, which is marked as
> optional....
> > > This corrected the problem for me, AFTER I had followed the
> instructions in the dns for email link.
> > > Possibly something that could be added to the document?
> >
> > I will NEVER recommend any CNAMEs based DNS. That's just asking for
> > trouble. And adding the FQDN to the email server alias field is
> > redundant and it will cause problems, too.
> >
> > So you're causing two problems that somehow (under certain
> > circumstances) happen to cancel themselves out.
> >
> > Additionally it'll break as soon as you add a subdomain and want email
> > for that as well.
> >
> > Hence: Do it by the book and you'll have no issues. And forget that
> > CNAMEs even exist.
> >
> > --
> > With best regards
> >
> > Michael Stauber

Robert Wurth
AV Computer Tech
Department of Atmospheric and Earth Sciences
St Louis University
205 O'Neil Hall
3642 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63108, USA