[BlueOnyx:17480] Re: mysql 5.5 on 5108R? - Clarification

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 28 13:56:39 -05 2015

Hi Michael,

> The Description for the MySQL package clearly states: "This MySQLpackage for
> 5106R will work with the following PHP versions:"

Yeah, I just looked at the description of the MySQL package in the shop.
Yikes, what a mess that was.

I just updated it to make clear what versions of BlueOnyx it is for and
which PHP versions it is for.

Just to clarify it here as well:

The MySQL-5.5.34 PKG is available for *all* versions of BlueOnyx. Except
BlueOnyx 5209R, which uses MariaDB instead.

In order for the MySQL-5.5 PKG to work you need a matching PHP version
that is compiled against the updated MySQL-5.5. The PKG itself contains
provisions to make it compatible with whatever "stock" PHP version your
version of BlueOnyx came with.

All PHP PKGs in the shop that were rolled up in the last two years have
provisions for both the "stock" PHP and the updated MySQL-5.5 of the
matching PKG for that platform. Upon install of either the MySQL PKG or
any of the (compatible) PHP PKGs this is checked and the respective
PHP-MySQL support is activated to make sure that it'll work either way.
The order in which PHP or MySQL PKGs are installed is not important.

The MySQL-5.5 integration is very, very complex and invasive. It
contains an upgraded PHP-MySQL RPM for the "stock" PHP. An updated
Perl-DBI and Perl-DBD RPM to make Perl able to "talk" to the updated
MySQL. And lastly each PHP package needs six compile runs (in total) to
build the DSO, the FCGI and the FPM binaries for the two supported MySQL
versions.

There have been OS updates where conflicts with the PHP-MySQL RPM arose
and all in all I'm not entirely happy with it.

Additionally: Upon install of the MySQL PKG the existing MySQL databases
are converted to the MySQL-5.5 database schema. Once that is done
uninstalling the MySQL PKG and reverting back to MySQL-5.4 (on EL6) or
MySQL-5.1 (on CentOS5) might cause database issues, as the databases are
no longer fully compatible with the older MySQL (stock) versions. So
this is essentially a one way street. You can upgrade. But then there is
no really good way back except doing a MySQL-Dump and importing said
MySQL-Dump after the downgrade.

As for 5209R:

As you all know, 5209R ships with MariaDB instead of MySQL. And it comes
with MariaDB-5.4. But we also support five different PHP versions at the
same time which can be installed and used simultaneously on 5209R.

There is a MariaDB 5.5 available. And also a 10.0 and 10.1, which have
features from MySQL-5.6 and MySQL-5.7 respectively. At this time (and
for the time being) I am not looking forward to make updated MariaDB
PKGs for 5209R. The reason there is that these updates would be
incredibly invasive as well and as of now I have no idea how they would
affect the long term supportability or stability of BlueOnyx 5209R on EL7.