[BlueOnyx:18143] Re: VPS sending email out as localhost.localdomain

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Wed Aug 5 15:07:50 -05 2015

Believe if your /etc/hosts file is correct (which most are not)
then these entries (from sendmail.mc) will use the hostname
associated with the IP address (from /etc/hosts) as the helo
name and the response name:

<quote>
dnl #les# define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',$j Sendmail; $b)dnl
define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',$?{if_name}${if_name}$|$j$. Sendmail Ready; $b)dnl
</quote>

Virtually every machine I do I have to manually edit the hosts file and
correct the IP to name association, and then have to redo it everytime
I add or delete a site from the server.

As for your change, it will not work with the "dnl" in front of it as that
essentially makes that line a "comment" to the sendmail configuration program.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net