[BlueOnyx:18249] Re: Secondary zone file location

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Tue Aug 25 22:28:13 -05 2015

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:

> On 8/25/2015 11:47 AM, Dr Martyn Bailey wrote:
>> OK, I got the records, however when trying to use dnsimport I get errors
>> saying: Cannot find DNS SOA record for (domain)
>>
>> So dnsimport is finding the zone files OK, and when I vi a zone it has
>> the SOA record...
>
> Ah yes, I've independently duplicated your findings here with a couple
> of other zones.  It does appear that the secondary zone file has a
> slightly different format and that would need to be handled.   I can
> foresee something happening with sed, but it may get a bit complicated...

I tried a few things recently while wanting to switch secondary to
primary here.

Part of the trouble I ran into was that the GUI expects to make the
records, and assigns each entry an object number in it's own database.
These db entries get an arbitrary object number.

Manually entered zone information was either ignored, or altered later.
I finally gave up and just manually created new primary zone files.

It *definately* would be helpful to have a secondary becomes primary
script/GUI function that would keep everything happy.