[BlueOnyx:18269] Re: NewLinQ and Shop outage

Michael Aronoff maronoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:19:10 -05 2015

Michael Stauber wrote:
> We're not going back to distributing PKGs as direct downloads. We are
fully aware and totally appreciate that 99.8%
> of our clients are as honest and as hard working as we are. But we have
seen some forms of abuse of our trust and
> it's only gotten worse recently.

I must say that I agree with this.

Unfortunately the BO community is very small so if someone buys one package
and runs it on many servers it really has a negative impact on Michael &
Greg. I know some people who think stealing software is OK because the
companies involved make so much already. Whatever you think of that argument
it is different for a company that makes billions to deal with theft than it
is for two guys who I suspect do not even make enough for it to be a full
time job.

I must admit myself, that in the old days I had installed packages on extra
servers. It would start out as small rationalizations such as "this is a
backup server" or things like that.

I realized I had done that more than I should so last year I decided to pay
up and buy 7 new copies of all the packages I was using. That was around
$1200 and it felt good to be fully compliant. I added another server
recently and between the costs for all the packages I would need and the
maintenance renewal costs I decided that the monthly package was the way to
go. I now have a fixed monthly cost I can anticipate and it keeps my cash
flow more manageable. Adding new servers will be super cheap (yea for bulk
discounts) and I feel better about giving back to the people that have given
my business so much.

Thanks to Michael & Greg for all they do.