[BlueOnyx:18797] Re: URGENT: PHP broken

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Dec 16 10:17:03 -05 2015

On 12/16/2015 8:57 AM, DD wrote:
>>> Gawd bless yer, guv'nor *doffs cap* - test website is back up and
> running.
>> That's what you guys actually talk like!?  LOL
>
> Only if you're hopped up on Mary Poppins, but I thought you deserved it :)

If it makes you feel better, although I live in Texas, I don't own a
horse, and only wear boots or a cowboy hat on VERY rare occasions.
Although I do say things like "y'all" and "bless your heart", my speech
pattern lacks the stereotypical drawl one might expect.

>>> No errors reported while restarting services, either.
>> Ah, very good.  RESULT!   I love it when things work out.
>
> Well that's a nice bonus. I won't be making THAT mistake again.

It's a good reminder that, by and large, it's best to stay away from
packages and repositories other than the standard BlueOnyx defaults.
If some poor, misguided person informs you that you must have Package
XYZ on your server, evaluate that fully and consider the source before
pulling the trigger.

Our BlueOnyx boxes are at their best when we allow them to be BlueOnyx
boxes, and don't cram them into becoming something else.   We have
customers with YEARS of uptime on standard BlueOnyx installations.
OTOH, nothing will take a box down quicker than loading in someone's
"special sauce" binaries.

Bottom line: tread carefully.  Be suspicious.   Heed the warnings the
dev team has built into the system!  ;)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services