[BlueOnyx:16827] Re: Soliciting Suggestions

Rickard Osser rickard.osser at bluapp.com
Fri Jan 9 02:37:45 -05 2015

Hi Chuck,

Just to be clear here, Aventurine in the latest iteration is capable of
running KVM (Hypervisor) and thus virtualize Windows as well as BSD and
others as well. There are some limitations compared to other systems, at
the same time it's easy to use as it uses the same GUI as we all know
very well.

BUT, it's limited to a maximum of 2 nodes and to the disk-system you put
into those systems.

I'm using Proxmox now for all of my virtualizing and it's a breeze, it
doesn't use a client but is web-based and supports both KVM and OpenVZ
(same containers as Aventurine). Setting up a 3-node cluster with shared
NFS-storage (FreeNAS with ZFS) is a breeze.

What will this give us that the others can't?
Economy
-------
Well, it's free without support, support is not expensive compared to
VMWare and other systems.

Scalability
-----------
Well, if you feel a server need more memory? With 3 nodes in a system
just do a live-migration of the guests to the other 2 nodes and shutdown
the one you need to expand. No downtime for customers. With the built in
HA-system this also helps in cases where a server crashes or breaks. On
top of that, if you need more power, just add a node or 2, they add
nicely to the running system without intrusion on the running guests.

Compatibility
-------------
As it uses a standard Debian minimal server on the host it is compatible
with most server-hardware on the market. You can also mix different
hardware in the Cluster as it really only uses RAM and CPU on the nodes
as long as you use a central storage-system. Nodes can thus be minimal
in disk-system.
As it supports OpenVZ out of the box it's easy to have a lot of vps's on
one server, the same as with Aventurine.

Security
--------
Well, you can run a completely separated network for the guest
(VLAN-support) for both KVM and OpenVZ, this minimizes the need for
running a firewall on the server itself. Actually, a firewall should be
run as the first device for splitting the traffic between hosts and
guests, the guests can also be split between different VLANs and give
you completely separated networks for different customers. Add
site-to-site VPNs connected to VLANs and you can sell extended LANs to
your customers where all server services is hosted but locally available
to customers, alternatively run a Terminal-Server for applications that
need to be available both on and off-premise for customers.

Performance
-----------
With older cheap 1U nodes and a good NAS you can really run a good
"high-performance" system which will keep your customers happy. We've
done a couple of server-room conversions on a good budget, good
installation time and with good performance for the customers. 15
Windows-servers virtualized in under 1 1/2 day. All of those running at
a much higher performance rate compared to the old servers, all using
standardized virtio-drivers for compatibility with newer hardware.
Live-migration and HA is now possible on all guests as well as a built
in system for backups which makes it easy to restore a virtual-machine
if needed. A good backup-system is still needed for the data inside the
guests.

Ease of use
Proxmox is fully manageable with a Web-browser. Use Firefox, Chrome or
IE (don't please!). Console and all settings is available using the GUI.

If you need more information or help, contact me off-list and I'll help
you out.

Best regards,

Rickard