[BlueOnyx:16847] Secure FTP Ports

Philip Hamer phil at pwmaintenance.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 13:03:16 -05 2015

Hi.

Tracked down PASV mode in proftpd.conf.

There is a massive range of ports. If I narrow this down to say 10, then open my external firewall to that port range, then port forward to my BO server this could work.

I guess I'll have to open the firewall on the BO box as well.

Any suggestions if this is safe / recommended?
FTP is hardly ever used, we are CMS based now on most sites, a few friends host a website on the BO box so maybe three of them use FTP anyway. No need for massive connections or throughout.

I should have migrated from the old Zywall kit over to PFsense within a couple of weeks, although reading some posts on FTPS with PFsense this can be problematic.

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone