[BlueOnyx:16918] Re: MRTG Question

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Jan 25 17:21:35 -05 2015

On 1/25/2015 9:23 AM, Richard Barker wrote:
> I know I can install mrtg by using
> yum install mrtg
> Can I install on a vps? Is there anything else I would need to do after
> that?

That depends on what you're looking for it to do.  If you are going to
use MRTG to look at SNMP data provided by a given host (ie: router,
switch, server) then you can put it on a VPS, no problem.

MRTG has a configuration guide with some examples of various
configurations here:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

It's worth noting that MRTG has fairly extensive documentation because
MRTG needs extensive documentation.  It ain't exactly plug & play.

It also has some limitations in regard to what it can/will do (nicely).
  I personally find RRDtool to be a bit more refined, but again, it's
not for the weak of heart.

> When where would it show up, and how to configure?

Again, the answer depends on the specific task that you're looking for
MRTG to perform for you.

Another thought (again, not knowing specifically what you're looking to
monitor with MRTG) would be that if you're simply looking to watch VPS
traffic on an Aventurin{e} host, do you know that functionality already
exists in the Aventurin{e} GUI?  Just go to the Virtual Servers tab,
then from the Traffic menu select Virtual Traffic (to see all of the VPS
traffic combined) or VPS Traffic (to drill down on traffic to/from
individual virtual servers).

If that takes care of what you're looking to do, then I'd just stop
there and forget trying to cram MRTG into the mix.  But of course, if
you're looking to monitor other SNMP-enabled gear, then you will
probably want to consider MRTG vs RRDtool, and then check out the
various pre-packaged alternatives that may exist depending on your
application.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services