[BlueOnyx:17754] Re: new server setup

Matthew Komar mkomar at serverrack.net
Wed Jun 3 07:16:51 -05 2015

I'm actually in the same boat here so am interested in the resolution. I
feel like this should be a fairly common scenario.

Server A (ip 1) needs to be replaced.
Server B (ip 2) is brought online.
CMU process happens resulting in Server B having primary ip 2 with a bunch
of websites on ip 1.

I feel like the thing that should maybe be happening, is that if you
attempt to change the primary IP and the IP you are trying to change it to
is an alias, then alias should just get dropped and the primary gets
changed.

One idea I had that I've not executed on yet was going to be to:

1) Change all vhosts to a new IP (ip3).
2) Drop the alias for ip1.
3) Change primary from ip2 to ip1.
4) Change all vhosts back to ip1.

I'm fairly certain that would work but seems like more hassle than it
should be.