[BlueOnyx:17863] Re: Fresh install 5208R, no RAID1

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sat Jun 20 11:28:44 -05 2015

On 6/20/2015 11:02 AM, Jeff Folk wrote:
> No RAID options in BIOS, and no add-in controller.
> This is a HP Pavilion a6417c computer (hobby server), AMD Athlon 64 x2, 4 GB RAM

Yup, should run 5x08R without an issue.

> I blew away the partition map earlier with dd, but wrote a new disk label with fdisk on both disks and verified that there were no partitions in rescue mode. Rebooted to the installer and started the default partitions choice -> Use all space option (reviewing partition layout).
>
> Asks me to choose the install targets, finds both WDC WD15EARS disks (1430799 MiB capacity on both) in data drive list, which I move to the install list. Then I can only choose one drive for the boot loader. Continuing, the review screen shows a VolGroup of size 2861092 MB, NOT mirrored. I'm so confused.

Try downloading the latest ISO and burn a new disc.  I've seen this
happen with faulty burns before.   I've also seen it happen on flaky
hardware.

> I have a couple fresh 3 TB disks laying about. Will the 5208R installer accept that large a disk? I've had issues with that large a disk in other anaconda installers before - they wouldn't boot afterwards.

The installer won't be your hurdle here; the BIOS will.   That BIOS is
only going to recognize up to 2TB.   But still, if it's just a
proof-of-concept you're looking for, you can give it a shot.

But try the new ISO / CD first.  It may save you some grief.  Here's the
link:
http://updates.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/ISO/BlueOnyx-5208R-SL-6.6-20150304.iso

Note: you'll have to use a DVD for it now.... it's gotten big!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services