[BlueOnyx:17872] Re: Fresh install 5208R, no RAID1

Jeff Folk jfolk at qzoneinc.com
Sun Jun 21 15:58:07 -05 2015

On Jun 20, 2015, at 3:23 PM, Jeff Folk wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2015, at 2:53 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it certainly sounds like you've been fairly thorough so far.
>> However, have you ruled out an issue with perhaps a DVD that just
>> doesn't have all the right bits?   It has happened before to me, both in
>> the download and in the burn.   That's why I recommended starting from
>> scratch on that.
>
> Will do. Can't hurt.

Re-downloaded and re-burned. Same thing.

>> ALSO... something I have not thought about in quite some time, but long
>> ago there used to be RAID issues if the disks were not connected in a
>> specific fashion.  Confirm that your disks are coming up /dev/sda and
>> /dev/sdb.   That may have been an old BlueQuartz-ism... it has honestly
>> been a very long time since I have had to consider something that odd.
>
> You may be on to something there. I think those disks come up as /dev/sdf and /dev/sdg when booting from GRML, and /dev/sda and /dev/sdf in the BlueOnyx installer. I'll turn off the PATA interface and see what happens.

Yes, GRML live CD is identifying the drives as /dev/sdf and /dev/sdg while the BlueOnyx installer is identifying the disks as /dev/sde and /dev/sdf.

Put the disks in a Dell XPS 420 (Intel Core2 Quad) with the same result. I don't know what is going on, but the installer refuses to do RAID1.

Thanks for the help thus far,
Jeff