[BlueOnyx:17876] Re: Fresh install 5208R, no RAID1

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Sun Jun 21 17:57:31 -05 2015

Jeff,

> Put the disks in a Dell XPS 420 (Intel Core2 Quad) with the same result.
I don't know what is going on, but the
> installer refuses to do RAID1.

Where did the drives come from and what brand are they? I believe you said
the drives were a part of a RAID5 Array? If they were a part of a hardware
RAID5 Array, you may have to put them back in that server, or another
server with the same RAID controller, and remove the RAID5 configuration. I
ran into this issue when upgrading 4 PowerEdge servers and using the old
server's drives and splitting them up. Everything was configured with
PERC6i controllers in the old servers. The drives failed to configure in
the newer servers. I ended up putting them back in their original servers,
backing them up, and used the controller firmware to remove the RAID.
Another way, if you don't need to save the data, is to get the drive
manufacturer's utility software or possible 3rd party software, and low
level format and reinitialize the drives back to factory settings. I have
done this many times, when I run across a stubborn drive that has been pre
configured and will not allow re-partitioning or formatting.
Tom