[BlueOnyx:17883] Re: Fresh install 5208R, no RAID1

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Jun 21 21:49:08 -05 2015

On 6/21/2015 9:37 PM, Jeff Folk wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2015, at 9:31 PM, Jeff Folk wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I should try disconnecting that, but I thought USB was in a different letter scheme.
>
> It was the memory card readers… I feel so stupid… Creating the VolGroups immediately without choosing which drives to install on.
>
> Not likely to forget this lesson any time soon.

Wow, nice going on that piece of troubleshooting!  I never would have
guessed that one!   It "felt" like strange drive assignments, but until
you mentioned the USB reader I never would have considered that.
Yeah... depending on how your BIOS is set up, it can assign those
devices as drives.   That's the basis by which you can boot USB devices
such as memory sticks, optical drives and even USB hard drives.

As a matter of fact, we set up a little server with no SATA attached,
but a 4TB disk via USB on a SATA -> USB converter.  It assigned right up
as /dev/sda.   For whatever reason, the idea that your box may be doing
that just never occurred to me.

Well, glad that at the end of the day you got it running.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services