[BlueOnyx:17187] Re: TalkTalk bounce

Colin Jack colin at mainline.uk
Wed Mar 4 15:36:02 -05 2015

Hi Michael

>Hi Colin,
>
>> Further investigation shows that although the sender is relaying off
>>our server the TalkTalk server is picking up his home ADSL IP:
>>
>> The original message was received at Sun, 1 Mar 2015 19:23:59 GMT
>> from 78-33-150-88.static.enta.net [78.33.150.88]
>
>To clarify: The client has a mailserver on ADSL and is relaying through
>your BlueOnyx? Or is he using an email client and SMTP-Auth and sends
>email through your BlueOnyx directly?

Yes - sending from email client using SMTP-auth. Outlook and Thunderbird.

>The distinct difference here: If he relays through you, the email
>headers will still show the origin of the email to be his ADSL box and
>your BlueOnyx will just be listed as relay in the 2nd line of the
>headers. Hence the recipient sees the ADSL box as sender and applies all
>the fishiness to it that this ADSL users IP address range might have.
>
>The degree of scrutiny that some SPAM filters apply varies naturally.
>Some evaluate just the initial sender. Some just the last relay it came
>from. Some evaluate all IPs listed in the header.

That is what they are doing (all IPs listed). Can I Œthin¹ out the headers?

>Hence: As long as the IP address range of the ADSL sender shows up in
>the headers his mails might not go through while using this way.
>
>If he's using an email client and SMTP-Auth (or webmail) and sends from
>your server directly, then the mail should go through. Other than that
>there is no easy way around this.

Unfortunately that is what he is doing. It is only the TalkTalk servers
that have a problem.
Pity sendmail doesn¹t have the flexibility of Exchange type Œsend
connectors¹ so that certain name spaces can be redirected to different
smtp servers.

Many thanks

Colin