[BlueOnyx:17188] Re: TalkTalk bounce

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Wed Mar 4 15:46:36 -05 2015

I have seen this as well (but a few years ago) when some administrator
mis-configured a Barracuda to look at the sender's IP address.  Barracuda
has a name for this option, I can't remember it now.  But yes it will block
all sorts of mail from dynamic IP blocks (DSL, etc.) for poor reputation.
It is a configuration mistake, it is the reputation of the mail relay that
should be taken into account, and in turn the operator of the mail relay
determines who to trust (typically via SMTP AUTH).

But it is common for the mail system administrator to proclaim to their
customers that they are right to block this evil mail from bad actors with
poor reputations.  They will blame the sender, saying "tell them to stop
spamming".

The solution is probably to tell the sender to use webmail, so his IP
address does not show up in the headers.  Most of the big mailbox providers
like GMail and Yahoo Mail I think have gone to this approach even for SMTP
mail, they suppress the headers from before it hit their system.  So a badly
misconfigured Barracuda or similar anti-spam appliance has nothing to look
at and get upset over.