[BlueOnyx:17316] Re: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication failure

Mitchell Rothschild mjr at misswebhost.com
Wed Mar 18 14:14:12 -05 2015

> attempts in 4 secs): user=<mrmitch>, method=PLAIN, rip=184.74.209.198,
> lip=207.142.2.119, session=<ez0X2jAR/QC4StHG>
>
> Here is the error.
> Mar 13 14:06:03 ns10 auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication
> failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=mrmitch
> rhost=xxx.xx.xxx.xxx user=mrmitch
>
> During this error - mail came into an iphone but outlook is failing.
> The password is correct and the username and password are the same in
> outlook and iphone.
> I can log into roundcueb with the same user/pass.

I think the problem is that you have multiple POP3 mail clients trying to
log in to the same mailbox at the same time. The POP3 protocol is not
capable of supporting multiple simultaneous logins to any given mailbox:
only one client can login using POP3 at a time.

The IMAP protocol allows multiple simultaneous logins in the same mailbox.

You have the situation where the user's phone is logged in and the PC is
blocked, or the PC is logged in and the phone is blocked, because only 1 can
be in the account at once.

Roundcube is an IMAP client, so it doesn't interfere or get blocked.

My recommendation to clients is to use POP3 on the PC, with the "keep mail
on server, delete after x days" option, and to use IMAP on all other devices
(phone, tablet, etc.). This allows access from all devices without
interference, keeps a complete copy of mail on the PC, and keeps the mailbox
trimmed so it does not fill up (which would be the case if everything used
IMAP).
Regards,
dAvid tHacker

Hi,

We have the PC email set up exactly how you said - and there was only one PC
logging into POP3 - rest were IMAP accounts from phones and tablets.
Problem still occurred....
We did change Outlook to  - "The server requires an encrypted connection"
which changed the outgoing port from 110 to 995 and mail started to come in.
Not sure why.

Mitch