[BlueOnyx:17377] webhosting only, email hosted on another server

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Thu Mar 26 19:56:57 -05 2015

What is the recommended way to configure BlueOnyx for webhosting only, where
email for the domains is hosted separately?  Yet websites may want to use
sendmail to email form data.

Unchecking the email box for the domain doesn't seem to accomplish what I
want, I still see entries in local-host-names, virtusertable and access
database.  And manual mods to those files are likely to get overwritten by
the GUI or by yum updates.

Two specific problems are driving me crazy:

1)  Some legacy websites have contact forms that use a CGI script and
sendmail to send an email.  And of course the recipient address is at the
same domain as the website.  So the BlueOnyx server is bouncing the email
for no such user, instead of sending it to the MX host.  So I have to
manually edit local-host-names, which I assume will get overwritten by the
GUI at some point.

2)  New problem, I think this started with a yum update some time within the
past month or two.  Unless I modify the customer's CGI script to use the
sendmail -f option, the envelope sender is apache at server_hostname.domain.com
which sendmail rejects because that's not a valid sender address.

Luckily newer sites use PHP libraries to send email rather than sendmail.
But we have legacy sites that have been moved from RaQ to RaQ3 to RaQ550 to
BlueQuartz to BlueOnyx and the customer thinks the same code should work
forever.  Same sites that have server side includes in files without a
.shtml extension.