[BlueOnyx:17498] IPTables Cron Errors

Roy Urick rurick at usa.net
Fri May 1 09:13:12 -05 2015

I cant find the link at the moment, but I applied a temporary IPTables
fix to stop some door rattlers. According to the notes I could enter
"iptables -I acctin 1 -s x.x.x.x -j DROP" (replacing the x.x.x.x with
the originating/offending IP) and put in a temporary block to stop the
bad traffic. It was noted that this wasnt a permanent fix as it was only
running in RAM and would go away at the next reboot. This is perfect for
what I was wanting.

However in the hourly cron jobs I now get the following errors:

/etc/cron.hourly/log_traffic:

iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?).
iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?).

Rebooting seems to have eliminated the error. ( I presume because the rules in memory are gone)

Is there a way to do this without getting the hourly alerts?