[BlueOnyx:17583] Re: RAID1 failure BlueOnyx 5208R

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Tue May 12 12:32:26 -05 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015, Tom wrote:

> cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1]
>      511988 blocks super 1.0 [2/1] [_U]
>
> md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1]
>      243625852 blocks super 1.1 [2/1] [_U]
>      bitmap: 2/2 pages [8KB], 65536KB chunk

It looks like it's running with only one drive active:  sdb  using
partitions 1 and 2.

So it's indeed 'degraded' since one of the drive pair (presumably sda) is
unused and is totally out of the picture.

Check the drives with smartctl -a /dev/sd(x) to see if there's an obvious
drive failure issue that may be the cause.  Also, look through logs to see
if there was some problem noted.

If the unused drive looks ok, make a good *external* backup of the entire
system, then try re-adding the missing drive partitions with
       mdadm /dev/md(partition) -a /dev/sd(partition)

for each of the two partitions.  This will attempt to rebuild the raid
array and re-mirror the data from the one functioning drive onto the
unused one.  For a large drives/partitions, this will take quite some time
to copy all the sectors (and the machine will slow down accordingly).

I have seen systems that shutdown uncleanly decide upon reboot that one of
the raid drives 'isn't worthy' and will activate only one of the pair.
I've also seen a failing drive get kicked out of the array.

Regardless, of the cause, and even if the rebuild is successful, regard
the machine suspiciously until you're satisfied that it's functioning
normally.