[BlueOnyx:17609] Re: problems with a 5106 _ httpd / cced /admserv not working

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu May 14 08:42:42 -05 2015

On 5/13/2015 1:50 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
>> Make sure that the system has not gone into read-only on the disk.
>
> Sadly this seems to be the issue. The /-partition has gone read-only and
> refused to be remounted rw. It's a hardware-RAID, too. :-(

Yes, I thought those symptoms sounded familiar, and consistent with a
read-only filesystem.  I've seen that happen when a disk is in the
process of dying, but it has happened occasionally for no apparent
reason.  My *guess* (and not a well-documented one, at that) for when I
am unable to pinpoint a disk error is that the filesystem got too busy
for the controller (or slow disk) to keep up with.  Or a controller
error.    If it's a hardware RAID (and a true hardware RAID) then either
there is failure across multiple disks, or the controller has thrown an
error.

At any rate, it's tough to pin down exactly, since by the time the error
is encountered, the kernel has already dropped the filesystem to
read-only, so there is no log entry.   If you catch it quickly enough
and haven't rebooted, maybe dmesg can help.

Best of luck to Janwillem on this issue.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services