[BlueOnyx:17715] Re: 28 May 2015: Failure to restart httpd after yum update

Dogsbody dan at dogsbody.org
Thu May 28 06:50:51 -05 2015

On 28/05/15 12:41, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> After today's YUM update, which carried some Apache / httpd payloads,
> httpd failed to restart gracefully on its own.   We saw this first with
> a customer server, and then on all of our production hosting systems.

Can confirm that we saw the same issue on our servers.  Apache isn't
shutting down properly and then can't start back up again as the old
processes are still bound to ports 80 and 443.

> Restoring service is easy enough.  As root, perform these steps via SSH:
> killall -9 httpd
> service httpd start

Or if patching manually (which we do for some customers) we switched to...
  service httpd stop && yum update -y

I imagine this is an upstream issue?

Dan