[BlueOnyx:18530] Re: Password characters

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Oct 17 18:54:23 -05 2015

Hi Dan,

> Since I am in Panama, that also leaves me wondering about some of the
> Spanish characters such as:
>  á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ, ¿, ¡

I recall that I tested the conversion with a wide range of characters,
which included Kanji and also German umlauts such as "ä", "ü", "ö" and
"ß". Turned out these were handled in their UTF-8 form as far as PHP was
concerned. So they got passed on to CODB in their UTF-8 annotation. And
CODB itself then did the correct conversion without me having to touch
that code.

So the characters you mentioned above should work in a password context.
If it's wise to use them in password context is another matter, as
(depending on what device you use to input the passwords) you might not
have easy access to those special characters and/or your keyboard or
language settings of the OS on the input platform might not permit the
work arounds (like ALT + <numpad>).