[BlueOnyx:18532] Re: 5209R hostname

Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Sat Oct 17 19:10:23 -05 2015

A bit more investigating, and it seems BIND 9.9 stores secondary zone files
in a raw binary format, not text, they provide a conversion utility

/usr/sbin/named-compilezone

# convert raw zone file “example.net.raw”, containing data for zone example.net, to text-format zone file “example.net.text”
named-compilezone -f raw -F text -o example.net.text example.net example.net.raw

# convert text format zone file “example.net.text”, containing data for zone example.net, to raw zone file “example.net.raw”
named-compilezone -f text -F raw -o example.net.raw example.net example.net.text

- Ernie.

> Hi Ernie,
>
> > Another question(s), what's the story with the file format of the secondary
> > DNS zone files on 5209R? They no longer seem to be in readable text format.
> >
> > How can you convert them into normal zone files? eg. if you have an emergency
> > and have to make a secondary at your DR site, into a primary DNS
>
> I guess it's the new BIND version on EL7. I haven't tried it yet, but I
> assume if you copy them over to another 5209R it ought to be able to
> read them.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber