[BlueOnyx:18546] Re: How can one configure additional ethernet ports on BlueOnyx 5209R?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Oct 19 12:01:44 -05 2015

Hi Peter,

> I have tested the scenario on direct adding/editing of the network
> scripts for "enp2s0f0" and "enp3s0" per your instructions ... and that
> worked out ok.

Very well.

> On more question ... would direct editing of the /etc/hosts.deny and
> /etc/hosts.allow file break anything on the GUI?

No, that's perfectly fine. There is a third party module available in
the BlueOnyx shop named APF. That's a firewall with GUI. But it also
includes a module that extends the "Network Services" / "Shell" GUI page
with GeoIP protection for SSH.

With that you can lock down SSH to only accept SSH connections that
originate in whitelisted countries. That part of the optional shop
module "APF" is (so far) the only GUI component that ever would modify
/etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny. But even then: It edits the files
to make the desired changes. It doesn't replace or remove anything from
those files that you might have added yourself.