[BlueOnyx:18350] Re: Amanda backup on blueonyx

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Wed Sep 9 09:40:11 -05 2015

On Wed August 19 2015 12:04, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> On 8/19/2015 9:28 AM, Jeff Folk wrote:
> > On Aug 19, 2015, at 8:54 AM, Larry Smith wrote:
> >> We are currently using Amanda in our NOC for local server
> >> backups and one of the techs asked me why we could not use
> >> it for the hosting servers also (BlueOnyx).
> >>
> >> Has anyone tried/used this?  What does it break?
> >>
> >> Thinking of using a cron job to cmuExport everything, then using
> >> Amanda to backup /home/cmu.
> >
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > I don't, sorry. I've found the Neuhaus RaqBackup script to be everything
> > I've needed. Granted I have another server as the target of the ftp
> > sending of those backups, but I'm sure the script could be modified to
> > instead copy those CMU export backups to an attached disk or network
> > target. I've modified my script to keep a daily cycle of 5 days of
> > backups for my BlueOnyx server.
> >
> > Completes in 15 minutes daily, but I'm only backing up around 7 GB at the
> > moment.
>
> I'm with Larry on this one.  We use RaqBackup.sh for this, and that's
> really just a glorified cronjob that performs cmuExport, MySQLdump, and
> copies across DNS zones, compresses it (or doesn't) then FTP's to a target.
>
> If you are already taking a cmuExport on cron, then there should not be
> any reason you *couldn't* use Amanda, but for me the simplicity of
> dropping in RaqBackup.sh is a winner.

Just an update for the records so to speak.  Have loaded the Amanda client
on seven BlueOnyx servers.  Only change I had to make was to add package
perl-JSON-2.90-1.noarch.  I am currently using raqbackup.sh via cron.daily
to backup the server to /home/raqbackup, then amanda picks that up and
archives it with the rest of our NOC servers.  Seems to be working fine and
I get the raqbackup email, plus the Amanda email each morning letting me
know what went on.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net